A common question we get asked by dentists is “should I run Google Ads for my dental practice without customised landing pages? Thus it made sense to document our answer on a web page.
While we highly recommend using custom designed landing pages for your Google Ads campaigns we recognise that there are some circumstances where this might not be possible.
For example, it may be the case that you have decided to run a short advertising trial in-house using a free voucher from Google. In this situation, you may deem it too expensive to apply the resource to create a new custom designed landing page for your Google Ads campaign.
The Downside Of Running A Google Ads Trial In-house
It’s likely this Google Ads trial has a limited budget that consequently means it isn’t economical for you to outsource the set-up or management at this moment in time. This being the case means you have to rely on in-house skills to create custom designed landing pages. It’s likely no one in your dental practice has the necessary experience to do this.
As a result, your only option is to send your paid Google traffic to your homepage or one or more of your service pages. The service pages are the pages on your website that are dedicated to each different service you offer on your website. Examples would be the pages about dental implants, Invisalign and teeth whitening.
Sending Google Ads Trafic To Your Website Homepage Can Lead To A Low Conversion Rate
Unfortunately, with the only option being to send your Google Ads traffic to your homepage and services pages you will find yourself a disadvantage from the start. Quite simply you will suffer from a poorer conversion if you don’t use customised landing pages.
To confirm while you can use your home page and service pages for Google Ads it is advisable to use bespoke landing pages. This is because the conversion rates will be higher.
Typically A Homepage Converts at 2% And A Customised Landing Page Converts At 10%
The improved conversion rates are the main reason why we recommend using bespoke landing pages Thes dedicated landing pages work well. This is because they are designed to maximise your patient conversion. In most cases a homepage and service pages are not good enough, hence the reason why we recommend you run campaigns with purpose created bespoke landing pages.
Bespoke landing pages reduce the friction for someone clicking on the advert to making an enquiry or phone call. Having read your ad, the visitor is served up exactly what they expected. They don’t click on the ad and see unrelated content. There’s no frustration because they are presented with exactly what they expected.
Bespoke landing pages are built for maximising conversions. They are designed with multiple calls to action above the fold because their only purpose is to convert your paid traffic.
Why Your Homepage or Service Page Will Convert Worst Than A Bespoke Landing Page
Let’s quickly list why the conversion rate will be low so as you are well versed with what you are dealing with. Following this, we will review how you can improve your homepage and service pages to convert better.
- No Compelling Calls To Action. There is no specific compelling offer on the homepage and service pages. The enquiry form isn’t clear and there are too many fields. Having fewer fields will lead to more enquiries.
- Ineffective Enquiry Form Position. The enquiry form is below the fold. It’s essential to ensure your visitors don’t have to scroll to reach the enquiry form. If you position the form at the bottom of the page they are less likely to see it because they haven’t scrolled far enough. Generally top right is the most effective positive for your enquiry form.
- Ineffective Phone Number Position. Often the practice phone number is at the bottom of the web page. Your phone number needs to stand out. The top of the page is the most effective position for generating conversions.
- Non Responsive Mobile Page. The page isn’t mobile responsive. Our mobile landing pages created using Unbounce, Convertri, and Clickfunnels.
- No Social Proof. There are no engaging, relatable testimonials. Testimonials tell your visitors how good you are. It reassures them, and they start to trust you. They are great for proving your claims. Often they pages will contain no credentials and trustmarks.
- No Opportunity To Split Test. You can’t split test a homepage. The main headline may be the dental practice name. It isn’t possible to test other headlines. The headline is there to get the visitor’s attention, and a business name is an ineffective way to do this. Furthermore, you can’t split test different copy and forms.
- Low Quality Scores. The homepage is often more generic than a customised landing page and not geared around the one specific search keyword. Homepages can’t be relevant to all search keyphrases. Homepages don’t give you the opportunity to improve keyword quality scores by using specific keywords in the page content.
- Ineffective Copy. A website homepage rarely lists the unique selling points of each dental service. It’s best to set out the points with proper formatting font and size.
Having listed these disadvantages, you will be happy to know there are ways to improve your conversions. This will involve making changes to your homepage or service pages. The upside is these changes will be beneficial to your website conversions and convert more of your organic traffic.
Here are some tips to improve your homepage and service pages in order to benefit from improved conversions and a positive return on investment.
How To Improve Conversion When You Use Your Hompage As The Landing Page In Google Ads
As discussed there are many reasons why you may want to run the ads in-house. Here ’s how to improve your homepage and service pages for better conversions.
- Improve Your Overall Website Appearance. Is your site professional and well designed? Your business name and logo should be clear. Is your phone number displayed at the top of your website?
- Make Your Call To Action Unmissable. Always make it easy for your prospective patients to contact you. Your call to action needs to relevant to what they searched on. There shouldn’t be any disconnect, as otherwise, the reader will lead. Give priority to the call to action that you want the visitor to take. The call to action needs to be clear, for example, sign up for a free consultation or download a free report.
- Review Your Website Photos – Are They Real? Ideally, you are using real photographs of your practice and not stock photography. Don’t allow the photos to distract from the content. The purpose of the page is for it to convert thus make sure the images aren’t a hindrance to this.
- Don’t Ask For Too Much Information. Are you asking for too much information in your form? Only ask for the information you need. People are reluctant to share information with companies that they don’t trust.
- Limit The Blocks Of Copy. Restrict your copy to what’s important. Blocks of text can be off-putting. The text should be clear and easy to read. Change your font and font size if this means people find it easier to read your message. Is it clear what you would like the reader to do? The next step for the reader should be obvious. Make it clear that you want them to fill in the form or call your practice.
- Improve The Keyword Quality Score. Take the opportunity to put keywords in your homepage and service pages. For example, put additional relevant keywords in the body text. This improves your keyword quality score and reduces how much you pay per click.
- Improve Your Dental Offer. Typically the most popular offer is a free dental consultation with x rays. Can you beat this with a better offer with limited time or availability? The best offers have urgency. Make sure your offer is compelling. Can you imagine yourself being interesting? Do you have a stronger offer than your competitors? Your offer mustn’t be confusing otherwise people won’t commit.
- Add Live Online Chat. Significantly improve conversions by adding online live chat to your site using a service like Ngage. They have highly trained operators to provide a customised experience that turns your visitors into patients.
- Improve The Thank You Page. The thank you page is an essential part of measuring performance. Thus make sure the Google Ads conversion code is on this page.
As a rule of thumb, we don’t recommend sending paid traffic to a homepage or service pages. We much prefer to see dentists running their dental marketing campaigns with customised landing pages. We advocate using an agency https://www.tripleyourclients.com/landing-pages/ for the reasons in this article
It’s possible to lose money if you aren’t using customised landing pages, simply because of the difference in conversion rates. Equally, you can generate a return on your advertising investment, without the use of customised landing pages, if you make the recommended changes listed above.
We trust this answers the question “should I run Google Ads for my dental practice without customised landing pages?” If you do have further questions on this matter or another Google Ads topic please reach out and contact us out.